Saturday, April 5, 2014

Biscuit Donuts


This is a "too good to be true" simple idea that I've seen on Pinterest quite a few times.  I was at Real Deals this week and saw honey butter refrigerated biscuits for $1 so I decided to give it a try!  It is really just as easy as it looks and the donuts are delicious.

All you need is a can of biscuits and some oil to fry them in.  I used a Dutch oven to heat the oil, the handle of a wooden spoon to pick up the donuts, and a cap for a wine bottle to cut the holes.


I found lots of different topping ideas on Pinterest but I chose to just sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top for my first attempt.  I found one with a chocolate red wine frosting.  How fantastic does that sound?!

Pour about 2 inches of oil in the Dutch oven and heat it on medium about 5-10 minutes to get it up to temperature.  There were no bubbles or boiling in my pot.

While the oil is heating, cut holes in the biscuits using whatever small round cutting tool you have, or use a knife to freehand.  The hole helps them cook thoroughly and makes them easier to handle.  Also prepare a plate or baking sheet with a few paper towels on it.  After the donuts fry you will need a place to put them to cool and the towels will absorb extra oil.

Using the spoon handle to pick up the biscuit dough by the hole, gently place the dough in the hot oil.  It doesn't bubble very furiously.  I was pleasantly surprised that this made zero mess on my stove and I didn't get burned with splattering hot oil.  The dough will puff up very quickly.


Let it cook only about a minute and then flip using the wooden spoon handle.  Cook one minute on the second side as well.


Transfer to the paper towels to cool.  I sprinkled a little cinnamon and sugar on top of each one as they came out.

Don't forgot to toss the little donut holes in at the end!  I used a slotted spoon to flip them and remove them from the oil.

This is not by any stretch a healthy breakfast, but it is very simple to make and inexpensive.  I think it has a little bit of a "wow factor" too if you want to serve for a special occasion like a birthday or for visiting overnight guests.  Donuts don't get any fresher than this and these taste great!




No comments:

Post a Comment