Friday, March 7, 2014

Black Bean Salsa Soup

Soup is one of my favorite things to have for lunch and this is an easy recipe to throw together.  I almost always have the ingredients on hand in my kitchen and it is very simple to make.


Ingredients:
1 cup salsa
2 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups broth
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 

Cook the salsa over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, just to cook it down a little bit.


Add the beans, cilantro, and broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.  Add lime juice.


If you like you can stop here.  However, if you prefer your soup to be a little creamier, ladle some into a a food processor or use an immersion blender to purée some of the beans.

This is what it looks like with about 1/3 of the beans puréed.


Makes 4 generous servings.

Approximate Price per batch: $3.35

*Notes:
- When I took these pictures I was making a double batch, so that's why the pot is so full.
- I have used a carton of broth, homemade broth from my freezer, and broth made from bullion.  I've also tried both chicken and vegetable broth.  Whatever you have will work just fine.
- Dry cilantro is an OK substitute if it's what you have, but the flavor from fresh really makes this soup.
- I have eaten this soup without the beans puréed, with some puréed, and with the entire soup puréed.  They're all delicious!  It is just a matter of preference, or usually in my case, time.

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner last night. What a hit! I couldn't believe how easy it was to make, the amount of flavor it produced and how much my family enjoy it. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, it will definitely be one I reuse!

    ReplyDelete